Whispers

    follow me on Twitter

    11.11.08

    The Metaphorical Back-burner

    I don't guess I've ever precisely understood why that turn of phrase is so ingrained in my vocabulary, given its context of origin. Everything cooked was on a stove top or in an oven. You keep the back-burners on low heat and say, simmer something, or reduce something while the searing, the boiling, etc. is going on up front and center. So something "on the back-burner" in your head, in your life isn't a priority right now, right? It's taken a back seat. It's not in the limelight for now.

    You aren't focusing on it, for various valid reasons. That's probably the simplest way to put it. Have you ever noticed that it is very difficult to explain idiomatic expressions, or anything like them, without using other idiomatic expressions?

    Strange.

    Anyway, "Our Feature Presentation" is on the back-burner as of late. That was the point of this little discourse. I wish it weren't. Simply put, I find that those little bits of information, those little glimpses on life at large that I once recently would have presented to you there now send me into a ballooning realm of new imaginations and introspection, and all that heavily-worded metaphysical jazz you are so used to finding here at the heart of "Dinosaur Eats Man." So here I am.

    I am shortly to make my way to the 1:00 to 2:15 Tuesday session of Physics 106 - General Physics with Calculus Pt. II. I hope he addresses our tests. He send out an e-mail saying that he dared post numbers as far as grades on WebAssign, even though he was wary of doing so because he very often makes initial mistakes be it in regards to the key, to Scantron handling, or somewhere else. But he did. And mine came up as a 73.2. Unglaublisch! Sie mussen nicht rechts haben. Calculating based upon the hearsay that he scaled the test grades 17 points from the get-go, I conclude that I would have had to miss 7 out of 16 questions to bekomm a 73.2. I don't think that happened.

    This is me being selfish, doubtful, and speaking Germinglish. This is me clicking "Publish Post" and going to class.

    1 comment:

    Christina said...

    Ich hoffe du einen besser Grad erhalten!

    (I'm not sure if the 'du' is in the correct place...knowing German it probably belongs before the 'erhalten' but...I tried. You have to know I love you if I speak German to you in a comment.

    ...by the way, I totally have a German test today. *cry*)